The Manufacturing Engineer will be responsible for documenting and evaluating current manufacturing methods and processes and designing and implementing new processes that will result in product and/or production improvements in areas of safety, quality, productivity, and cost. The primary focus will be on the manufacturing of mandrel-wrapped fabric reinforced rubber products but will also be involved in material handling, compression molding, machining, and assembly.
Since 1953, Red Valve has set the standard for solving the world’s toughest flow control challenges through unmatched elastomer design and manufacturing experience. Red Valve is dedicated to exceeding customer expectations with proven, creative, high-value solutions.
Red Valve has a passion for innovation and creativity, with a wealth of patents and best approaches developed for customers' needs. The people of Red Valve embrace this passion every day, providing reliable solutions to customers' most demanding challenges, wherever and whenever they are needed most.
Red Valve was acquired by DeZURIK on January 1, 2021.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
include the following:
- Implement an asset tracking system for production tooling
- Evaluate, design, document, and implement improved manufacturing methods including semi-automation where applicable
- Evaluate manufacturing equipment and design and install improved equipment
- Solve manufacturing problems concerning the interpretation of drawings, manufacturing methods, and material requirements and identify root cause of quality issues and develop a resolution.
- Review and interpret customer drawings and specifications to ensure Red Valve drawings, BOM’s, and documentation will produce the specified product.
- R&D, prototype, and test new products as well as identifying and implementing design changes to existing products that will improve performance, lower cost, and/or provide a competitive advantage.
- Develop intuitive manufacturing procedures to ensure consistent manufacturing of quality parts.
- Develop inspection and test procedures and pass/fail criteria.
- Design and produce detail drawings of components required for manufacturing or testing of products
- Communicate with outside vendors on purchased parts and resolve discrepancies with materials, specifications, or drawings.
- Be an effective liaison to Engineering department personnel in Pittsburgh
- Make site visits to assist in field installation, troubleshooting, startup, and product training.
- Actively participate in continuous improvement activities to improve Company processes and products.
- Comply with all safety and health regulations and maintain work cell through 5S and housekeeping
- Participation in special projects and other duties may be assigned, including Kaizen events and other continuous improvement/lean activities
Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) or equivalent from a college or university in Mechanical, Manufacturing, or Electrical Engineering with 3-5 years of mechanical/design engineering experience.
Licensure as a Professional Engineer or Engineer-in-Training is desirable
- 3+ years of engineering experience in an engineering manufacturing environment
- Elastomers, molding and hand-fabricated manufacturing processes is strongly desired
- A hands-on mechanical aptitude
- Ability to read and interpret detail and assembly drawings
- Ability to utilize metrology equipment such as calipers and micrometers.
- Strong Autocad skills. 3D solid modeling experience is desirable
- Proficient with use of Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Experience and knowledge in any of the following areas is desirable
- Fluid flow – pressure, flow rate, velocity
- Hydraulic and pneumatic cylinders
- Electric motors
- Pumps and related components
- Casting design and foundry practice
- Machine/mechanical design – Plates, shafts, structural shapes, weldments, gears
- Manufacturing machining processes
- Welding practices and principles
- Understanding stress of materials
- Understanding Bill of Materials
- ERP system. Epicor desirable
- Engineering change processes
- Experience with ANSI, ASME, ISO
- Strong Project Management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects with little or no supervision.
- Is experienced with product failures and can determine liability associated with product failure.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication.
- Experience in Quality methods used to problem solve; FMEA and determine root cause and implement corrective actions.
- Practical understanding of Lean business practices and Continuous Improvement process implementation.
Some travel may be required: visit other DeZURIK sites, customer visits, or other company supported events.
To perform this job successfully, the physical demands listed are representative of those that must be met by an employee. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, use hands to handle and feel, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. The employee may occasionally be required to crouch. The employee may occasionally lift items as heavy as 50lbs. Specific vision abilities may include the employee’s ability to see near and far distances.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer: Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Minority/Veteran/Disabled